Sunday, September 16, 2007

Jack Frost Came By My Garden

Friday night marked the end of my tomato and pumpkin growing season. I had a good tomato crop this year. I had the worst ever pumpkin crop. I got one small pumpkin from the seeds I planted. This lonely pumpkin is maybe six inches across and it has a scar in the side from growing into a tomato cage. My other pumpkin is about 10 pounds and was a volunteer that grew out of the compost pile. The volunteer pumpkin is rather nicely shaped and a bright orange. Jack Frost nipped my basil but the bottom of the plant is still growing. The lemon parsley seems fine. Summer is over. I have been able to sleep a little later these past two days. I wake up to the sound of hardworking squirrels. The squirrels leap from the black walnut tree on the north west side of the house and land with a thud. They they run up to the peak over the garage, ascend the west facing part of the highest roof, go over the peak, and scamper down the east facing part of the roof and I assume they jump onto the oak tree. The squirrels are very loud. They can't weigh more than a pound but they make a lot of noise per ounce. Why do I only hear them going one way? I assume they are harvesting the black walnuts and moving them to the oak tree. Do they get down and walk across the grass back to the walnut tree? If so, they are really working hard because I can hear them run across the roof every few minutes. Must be a squirrel triathalon.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...