Wednesday, September 26, 2007

First Time Since 1974

Back in 1974 I went shoe shopping at my favorite shoe store on Washington Avenue in Minneapolis, near 7 corners and near the West Bank at the Earth Shoe store for the last time. Earth shoes had a negative heel - meaning the heel was lower than the rest of the foot. The idea was to match the shoe to the footprint a human foot leaves in the sand. And when you look at footprints left in sand, the heel is the lowest part. I loved earth shoes. Even though they were expensive and I was a poor college student, I bought earth shoes because they fit my feet comfortably. I have wide and flat feet. My ankles pronate. When I heard the Earth Shoe store was closing in Minneapolis, I saved up enough for two pair because I loved them so much. Eventually they wore out and I looked for Earth shoes again but could never find them. In the past month or so, I have been suffering with plantar fascitis - a painful heel condition that comes with (heavy sigh) old age. I think I have had this for quite a while but I thought it was connected to the sciatica. The platar fascitis nerve in the foot gets shortened. I looked up exercises to combat this pain on the internet. Two or three times a day I would let my heels hang low on the edge of the stairs for 30 seconds and 5 repititions. This helped but the help was slow in coming. Then I remembered earth shoes. I googled them. I was happy to see Earth shoes are still made and come, in fact, much more attractive styles than I was used to. I typed in my zip code to find a local dealer and was shocked, yes shocked, to see Earth Shoes are sold in Blaine, at Northtown at Tradehome shoes. I bought a pair of black ones. They are like candy to my feet. When I wear these shoes I feel like I am taking medicine for my feet. Each step is helping. And I think they're cute too.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...