Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Old Stomping Grounds-Central Avenue NE


I had my second writing fiction class at the Loft this morning. I really enjoy the class. Part of the good experience is driving down Central from 89th NE all the way down to and across the river. I go past places I used to frequent or pass by. There is the Starlight Hotel (I passed by that-never frequented), the office where we got our passports back in 2002, the Ideal Diner (open for breakfast at 1:30), Rainbow Foods,the bowling alley on 45th and Central, and the location where Leon's Supper Club used to be. Leon's Supper Club is the place to which I was stolen during my wedding reception by the best man and several other men. Stealing the bride and groom from their wedding reception was done at most of the weddings I attended back in the 70's. No one does that anymore, do they? And why did we do that? After spending tons of money on food, drink, and entertainment, why steal the bride and groom away from all that and take them to bars where we had to pay money for the drinks? Plus we had to undergo the disapproving looks of the parents and grandparents when we got back. So I can see why stealing the wedding couple at receptions was stopped but Idon't know how it got started. I did some research and learned the Germans consider it a wedding custom but so do the French and the Austrians. I was married back in 1980. Almost all of my friends were stolen at their wedding receptions. I myself helped steal a couple grooms. We stole the groom because it was a tradition. We had good times. We didn't have designated drivers either. As a bar patron, it was great entertainment to see a stolen bride or groom come in and have a few drinks before heading back to the reception. Stealing the wedding couple at a reception has gone the way of the Rambler, sky writing, and passenger pigeons.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...