Sunday, September 9, 2007

I am a Dog Person

Creepy picture, huh? I can't decide if its the lips or the eyes that make it creepy. Last night I awoke at 12:38 a.m. because I thought I heard someone talking outside my bedroom window. I heard what sounded like the beginning of an unintelligible human sentence followed by a scream. This pattern kept repeating only the screams began to sound more like a cat fight. I heard this over and over and over, louder and louder and louder. Eventually I figured out it must be 2 cats doing the dirty deed in my yard. These sounds went on for 10 minutes! It was like Satan's version of Ravel's Bolero. http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6739236/a/Ravel


What the heck? Do cats do it for that long or was that foreplay (forefight)? Why does it sound like torture? Aren't cats supposed to be enigmatic and mysterious? Well, they sure aren't obscure when it comes to sex. See, this is why I prefer dogs. Dogs would do it quietly and without so much drama. They wouldn't keep sleepers awake in the middle of the night thinking someone was being killed. Yesterday I went to a wedding. I met a couple of old neighbors. I babysat for their children when I was a teenager. I could barely remember the children but I vividly remembered this huge white long haired cat they had named Snowball. Snowball was mean. Snowball had bright blue eyes and big teeth. One night Snowball got his blue jeweled collar over his chin so that the collar was in his mouth like a horses' bit. Snowball was freaking out and the children thought I should do something. I approached Snowball and he hissed at me. I thought fine, you got yourself into this mess, get yourself out of it. Maybe you can tell but cats are not my favorite animal. After 10 minutes of cat hysteria, I realized this cat was not able to get himself out of his predictament. So I went to assist. The collar had a buckle. This meant I had to pull the collar tighter to get the prong out of the hole before I could loosen it. And the buckle, of course, was in his mouth - visible only by peering through his many long and dangerous teeth. I tentatively put one finger toward the buckle and Snowball went even more hysterical. I contemplated calling the owners. But then I realized I could reach behind Snowball's head and turn the collar so the buckle was out of the mouth. My adrenaline was pumping and my heart was pounding. I opened the buckle and Snowball was free. How does Snowball react to this life saving measure? He acts like nothing happened. He just sat there and went to sleep. I get nothing from him, no thanks, no acknowledgement, he didn't even leave the room. This was my most traumatic babysitting experience and he doesn't even blink. Logically cats have their good sides. You can leave them for a couple days without worrying. They don't usually pee on the rug like puppies do. But I just don't like cats the way I like dogs.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...