Thursday, September 6, 2007

Wild Grapes, Wild Snakes



Blunder and I were walking around our block tonight when I noticed the fruit on the vine. Grape vines are so heavy with fruit this year that they are pulling some trees down onto the road. There is one grapevine hanging so low over the road we have to walk out into the road to avoid grape clusters in the face. There are enough grapes, just on our block, to make a batch of grape jelly. Tempted as I am, I am not going to make grape jelly. I have already made two batches of jelly from hand picked fruit this year: raspberry and chokecherry. Plus I really have never liked grape jelly. My favorite jelly or jam is peach or apricot followed by raspberry and strawberry. I bought pineapple jam once. A friend of mine was searching grocery stores because her sister was dying and wanted pineapple jam on toast before she died. I thought it must be good stuff to be this woman's dying wish. But no, pineapple jam and grape jelly won't be on my list of things to eat before I die. I prefer grapes whole. Crisp green grapes are my favorite. As I walked by the grapes on the road tonight, I encountered a garter snake crossing the road. I didn't scream. Usually I let out a small involuntary scream when I see snakes but not this time. This one wasn't sneaking up on me. This one was jaywalking across the blacktop. And it was only 8 inches long. I stopped. The snake stopped. He stuck out his tongue a few times at me. The dog chose this moment to do her business. The snake continued sidewinding across the road. The dog was doing her business in the grass while I stood patiently waiting with my plastic Kohl's bag in my hand. I can see the snake is going to slither just inches from the dog's face. As I contemplate what seeing a snake that close would do to my digestive system as a crucial time like this, I see the snake pass by unnoticed. I decide this is the best thing that could happen for the dog and for the snake.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...