Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Poison Ivy Peak

I took Blunder on a nice walk in the rain after work today and noticed the poison ivy is at peak color. Poison ivy is one of the first weeds to turn color in the fall, even before the sumac. Because the poison ivy has turned from green to a sickly yellowish green, I can clearly see all the patches of it in my yard. Most of it is on the east side of the property facing the street. I know the poison I used this spring to kill the poison ivy has killed a lot of it because I can see where the arc of the stream from my poison ivy poison has reached. Because I am so allergic to poison ivy, I cannot kill it all at once. I stand at the edge of the patch and spray inward as far as I can go. Each year I get a little farther into the patch. I have really made a lot of progress over the past 10 years. The poison ivy is a strong weed and it creeps back in behind me and tries to grow again. Those individual plants are easier to kill than the large patches. Some of my poison ivy has been growing so well that it has grown woody stems and has lots of white berries. Don't tell my neighbor this but I spray some of his poison ivy too - as far as I can spray from the property line. His hill is just covered with healthy poison ivy plants.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...