Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Great Blue Heron

For this project I used a frame and put a black and white photo of a great blue heron in reeds behind it.  Then I broke glass into pieces and glued them to the glass of the frame.  In retrospect, I wish I had used another color for the sky because the sky blends in with the yellow beak.  Blue sky would have been boring though.

Then I applied charcoal color grout to the top and pressed it in.  What a freaking mess.  This is really a summer time project because it would be easier to do it outside in the grass where the extra grout would fall harmlessly in the grass or in the driveway.  This grout is like cement so I can't even wash my grouty hands in the sink because it would clog up my drain.  So I was careful and used all the extra newspaper I had plus 2 pair of disposable gloves.  Now all I have to do is put some weather stripping between the glass and the frame so it stays secure. I love the shape of the herons.  That long, curved neck and hunched back are so pleasing to my eye.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...