Saturday, February 14, 2015

Puddles On The Beach




Walking on the beach makes me a little philosophical.  Sometimes, when I take a step, my weight displaces the water not just below my feet but in a circle around each foot. I can tell because the sand gets shiny as I step.  This makes me think that my actions have consequences that I do not always know about or notice.  Sometimes the waves throw some water up on the sand forming a puddle that does not immediately wash back into the sea.  A little rivulet forms at the lowest point of the puddle and right before my eyes the puddle grows smaller at every aspect of it's boundary.  The puddle dries up right before my eyes.  This, I think, is similar to problems.  If you wait long enough problems such as bronchitis or an unwanted emotion like disappointment or frustration will dry up and evaporate given enough time.  I like this idea.  I can think back to the puddle on the beach the next time I have a problem.  If I can visualize a problem drying up like a puddle I won't suffer as much.  Cheered by this exciting idea I go on to look at the next puddle.  This one is a big one.  A rivulet forms on one side.  Another wave comes up and adds to the puddle making it bigger.  Okay, I think, some problems are like that.  They grow bigger before they are resolved.  The extra water washes the sand out of the discharge rivulet so the water can drain faster.  Sometimes what you think is a problem is actually a part of the solution. The extra water temporarily makes the puddle bigger but will result in it draining even faster.  One door closes and another door opens.  As I stand there pondering this puddle and the action of the waves for another five minutes I realize the puddle never drains completely.  So what does that mean?  Some problems never go away?  How helpful will this analogy be if the puddle never empties?  Eventually the tide will rise and the puddle will be absorbed back into the gulf.  Some puddles drain fast and others take all night.  Eventually all problems are altered by the tides of time
.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...