Friday, February 27, 2015

Last Day of February

This morning when I went out to take care of my chickens it was cold out.  I got an ice cream headache from the cold.  And I didn't get any ice cream making it a double injustice.  The chickens know what to expect. I start out by putting a long quarter of cucumber into the coop.  They take a bite or two but the entire thing will be gone soon. When I pull back the tarp that keeps their run free of snow they come out of the coop.  They watch me carefully as I lift the rubber water dish out of the run and slam it repeatedly against the picnic table to knock the ice out of the dish.  Under my picnic table there are a dozen or more round solid chunks of ice from previous water dish changes.  I put their water dish back down and pour fresh, liquid water into the bowl.  My chickens know they have to take advantage of the water while it is still liquid.  This is when the chickens get excited.  Ever since a trip to the Anoka Independent Feed Mill in late December where I bought a $20 bucket of dried mealworms and crickets, my chickens have been getting a treat with their fresh water in the morning.  They know it is coming and their behavior becomes worried and agitated in anticipation of their treat.  Winter is getting long for the chickens and for me.  I don't think we've broken the back of winter yet.  But I did hear a song of spring today.  I heard the cardinals singing their love song.  The cardinals are singing longer and louder.  I imagine that in human English the lyrics to their song would be like Marvin Gaye's "Lets Get It On."

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...