Friday, February 13, 2015

Someday I Will Live By the Ocean

Every morning and every night on Padre Island I walk the beach.  This is  the north beach.  If I walk the north beach in the morning I walk the south beach in the evening.  I walk it barefooted of course.  The sky is overcast and the wind is brisk..

This is the south beach.  The turtle rescue group patrols the entire south island every morning searching for turtles leaving tire tracks in the sand.  The sand farthest from shore is soft and deep.  Next comes a short band of crusty sand that is soft underneath.  Then a band of  harder sand that is still dry.  Then the layer of  hard wet sand between high tide and low tide.  I love to walk in all the kinds of sand.  I see people walking down Gulf  Drive getting their exercise and I wonder why they prefer to walk on asphalt between the traffic and the condo driveways..

Straight out view.  A laughing gull in the foreground.  An angler farther out.  It's time to say goodbye to the beach and return to normal life of work, responsibility, alarm clocks, packing lunch, buying gasoline, and shoveling snow..  How lucky I am to have had this break!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...