Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I Could Get Used To this Island Living

I got up early enough to see dew drops on the beach grass.

Looks like a snake den.  Sounds dangerous.

I took the public transportation to the Bilding Enter (seriously the Birding Center).  I climbed to the top of that tower.

from where I got a good look at the sewage treatment center

and the nature boardwalk

and the causeway to Port Isobel.  Beyond that is Mexico.

On the boardwalk I saw a couple collared doves in a bush.

Great tailed grackles are everywhere here.  They make many different noises including the sound of the return key on an electric typewriter.  I know I'm dating myself with that analogy.

Better look at the Eurasian collared dove.

I saw American wigeon, Northern pintails, mottled ducks, redhead ducks and coots.  See the long yellow toes of the coot?

A showy egret sees a tasty snack and stretches it's neck out.

Missed it!




American alligator aligns it's body to catch the most sun exposure.  We have much in common.

This is the very first gallinule I've ever seen!


Blue crabs under the water.

I think that turtle is a red eared slider.

Holy alligator!

After the nature center I had lunch at the Grape Vine.  This message is displayed in all the establishments that serve liquor.  Interesting.to see what other states deem is important.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...