Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Round House

I listened to Louise Erdrich's novel The Round House this week as I walked around and around and around the block.  This engaging story kept my mind off the cold, the wind, and the bleakness outside.  This award winning book tells the story of Joe who lives on the reservation in South Dakota with his mother and his father.  Thirteen year old Joe is a typical boy and I ended up falling in love with his character.  All the characters are so well described I feel like I would recognize them if I drove onto the reservation.  After reading this book I could magine my 13 year old self hopping on a bike to ride with my friends.  My friends and I never got into as much trouble, drama and danger as Joe did.  This story isn't all fun and games.  Very sad things happen and hard choices had to be made.  Joe starts out the story as a 13 year old but ends up as an adult even though only a few months pass from the beginning to the end of the story.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...