Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Chickadee On Alert

Last night I walked up to Chester Creek Bowl for a concert.

The sun was low on the horizon and I like how the sunlight lit up pasts of the tree trunks. As it turns out the band tonight is a country band. It's not that I don't like country music. I just haven't heard any contemporary country music that I like. Of course if I don't listen to country music I won't hear any contemporary country music I do like.

I stayed to listen to the music for awhile but I got distracted by the plants along Chester Creek. Other people were playing down there too.

And then I saw this pollinator hanging around upside down.

Here is a view from the bottom of the insect. The wings on this pollinator remind me of a see-through coat. Didn't Lady Gage wear something similar?

I wonder if pollinators ever get the "twisties" like Simone Biles got at the Olympics.

This is a beech fern. I learned this fern the other day. Beech ferns are common in Canada and around Lake Superior. See how their lower leaflets stick out at a different angle from the other leaflets? You can imagine this fern is a beach chair to help you remember it's a beech fern.

After walking home I sat on my front steps to look at the images on my phone. I got distracted. I saw a Momma House finch feed seeds off the sidewalk to her baby finch. Oh, fer cute! Also four of "my" baby chickadees were frolicking on the electric wire, our garbage can, and in the Siberian pea shrubs. Just for kicks I opened my Audubon app and played the sound of a black capped chickadee just to see how they would react. Upon hearing a foreign chickadee in the East Hillside part of Duluth, the chickadees got agitated. See the fear in this chickadee's face?

Chickadee on alert. I apologized and made my phone go silent.



 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...