Sunday, August 1, 2021

Day At The Fair

Today I monitored my streams. Look at that orange banded bee on the Joe Pye weed. I thought, just for kicks, I would attend the 100th anniversary Southern Saint Louis County fair in Proctor on my way home. I heard about it on the news because the truck delivering the carnival rides tipped over on the way to Proctor. The organizers had to scramble and ended up renting a boat load of bouncy houses.

I got there around 11 a.m. and things were pretty quiet. The children's farmland was just opening up. I like their apple tree because it has real apples on it.

This fair is much calmer than the state fair. I liked the relaxed atmosphere. Plus the Canadian smoke that has been plaguing us for the past 3 weeks cleared today.

Here are the blue ribbon jam and jelly winners.

See that washcloth in the right with the scalloped edges that won first prize? I have made dozens and dozens of them. I could have won first prize too if only I entered the contest.

Woah, some interesting skulls are in the art contest. The gold cow skull on the right won a blue ribbon. The upside down horse skull with gold teeth won a red ribbon.

I like this windmill painting.

Kids enjoyed petting the baby chicks.

The pupils in the eyes of goats tend to creep me out. Is it just me or do these two goats appear to have sinister intentions?

This handsome (and loud) rooster won a blue ribbon. I can tell it's an Americauna because he has green legs.

This prize bunny has a prominent double chin.

This goat had an attractive coat. I bought some cheese curds and sat down to wait for the talent contest to start when I got a call from Offspring #1 who was at the Newport Kite Festival with his family. I told them about the fair and they told me about the kite festival. Today was a fun day at the fair.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...