Saturday, August 7, 2021

Woodstock Bay

Today I joined the St. Louis River Alliance on a guided canoe trip. We met at Woodstock bay in Superior, Wisconsin.

The water was as warm as bath water!

A very helpful woman drove this VW. I, and many other people, loved her kayak rack because it brings the kayak down to where she can reach it. To protect the finish on her car she used two canoe cushions. She wisely attached two long magnets to the cushions so the cushions stayed in place. I love this kayak carrier.

Today was blustery. Winds were blowing at 19 mph. We decided to stay in a protected bay
 because the main channel of the St. Louis river had white caps. A woman from the Minnesota DNR talked about the restoration of Grassy Point boat landing. She said the DNR handles restoration. If the pollution problem is more significant, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency handles it. Sitting on the water listening to a lecture about restoring this beautiful river was so relaxing and pleasant. I need to explore the Grassy Point landing soon.

Sometimes the beauty of this area distracted me.

Here is Tilly!  Good dog Tilly. Tilly went for a wild flower walk with us earlier this week.

I think I will come again on a less windy day.

After 90 minutes we returned to the parking area. The helpful lady with the Volkswagen and the kayak carrier showed me this kayak device. I NEVER would have seen it because it was surrounded by cattails. She got out first. Then I got out. Then she helped me carry my kayak to my car with another guy while I followed behind like a gosh darn princess. What a fun group to spend a blustery Saturday morning together. In early September they are going to plant wild rice in the Saint Louis River. That sounds like fun too.

I was happy to get home before the storm so I could close my windows. This sneaky chipmunk lives below my deck.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...