Friday, August 13, 2021

Space Rocks Rock!

 This week marks the best chance to see meteors flying across the night sky. The Perseid Showers happen in August every year and with a new moon, the night sky was darker than usual. I have a friend who would travel from her home in Maplewood, MN to camp on the northern border of Minnesota just to see the Perseid Showers. You need a dark sky to see the meteors. City lights pollute the night sky so it is best to go to a remote area without lights. I decided to travel twenty miles north of my house. I got to Island Lake Park on Rice Lake Road. I read it is best to let your eyes adjust to the dark so I decided not to look at my phone. I got there about 8:30. My car was the only one in the parking lot. Twilight fell while I organized stuff in my car. I putzed around in the car for a half hour. I decided I would go outside. I had a better chance of seeing a meteor outside of my car. I walked down a asphalt path to the beach area. Someone on this lake was having a bonfire. I could see cars going by on Rice Lake road. I looked up at the sky. The new moon was just a sliver. Stars came out and reflected on the still water of Island Lake. I would like to hear a loon or the splash of a beaver. This lake has a swimming beach that is roped off. The beach looks nice. I look up at the sky and find the big dipper. Wait, did I see a meteor? No, I don't think I saw a meteor. That was only wishful vision. My neck is getting a little sore. There is one! I saw a meteor! Mission Accomplished! I decide I will keep looking until I see three meteors. I see another meteor. Then a mosquito decides to invade my eye ball. I look up and see this mosquito right there touching my eye lashes. I move a few feet away. The persistent mosquito follows and will not leave my eyes alone. I walk back up the hill toward my car. I look again. The mosquito has left. I see my third meteor. I am feeling proud as I get in my car to go home. I see a couple deer on the side of the road. By the time I get home it is 10:30 p.m. I should go to bed but instead I go out onto my tiny balcony and look up. The roof blocks part of my vision but I can see a lot of stars here. I am surprised how many stars I can see here in town. A fourth meteor streaks by and this one was the largest so far. Wow. Space rocks rock!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...