Friday, August 13, 2021

Space Rocks Rock!

 This week marks the best chance to see meteors flying across the night sky. The Perseid Showers happen in August every year and with a new moon, the night sky was darker than usual. I have a friend who would travel from her home in Maplewood, MN to camp on the northern border of Minnesota just to see the Perseid Showers. You need a dark sky to see the meteors. City lights pollute the night sky so it is best to go to a remote area without lights. I decided to travel twenty miles north of my house. I got to Island Lake Park on Rice Lake Road. I read it is best to let your eyes adjust to the dark so I decided not to look at my phone. I got there about 8:30. My car was the only one in the parking lot. Twilight fell while I organized stuff in my car. I putzed around in the car for a half hour. I decided I would go outside. I had a better chance of seeing a meteor outside of my car. I walked down a asphalt path to the beach area. Someone on this lake was having a bonfire. I could see cars going by on Rice Lake road. I looked up at the sky. The new moon was just a sliver. Stars came out and reflected on the still water of Island Lake. I would like to hear a loon or the splash of a beaver. This lake has a swimming beach that is roped off. The beach looks nice. I look up at the sky and find the big dipper. Wait, did I see a meteor? No, I don't think I saw a meteor. That was only wishful vision. My neck is getting a little sore. There is one! I saw a meteor! Mission Accomplished! I decide I will keep looking until I see three meteors. I see another meteor. Then a mosquito decides to invade my eye ball. I look up and see this mosquito right there touching my eye lashes. I move a few feet away. The persistent mosquito follows and will not leave my eyes alone. I walk back up the hill toward my car. I look again. The mosquito has left. I see my third meteor. I am feeling proud as I get in my car to go home. I see a couple deer on the side of the road. By the time I get home it is 10:30 p.m. I should go to bed but instead I go out onto my tiny balcony and look up. The roof blocks part of my vision but I can see a lot of stars here. I am surprised how many stars I can see here in town. A fourth meteor streaks by and this one was the largest so far. Wow. Space rocks rock!

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...