Thursday, August 12, 2021

I Was Right!

 I got home about noon today. I went to pick some lady bell flowers to bring in the house and put in a vase when I noticed some Tansy. I pulled that nasty invasive out by the roots but in doing so I yanked another weed that smelled like mint. I brought a chunk of it in the house and looked it up in my field guide and sure, nuff! I have wild mint. I read what you can do with it. The first thing I read was that Native Americans used it for stuffy heads by putting leaves up their nose. I stuck two fat leaves up my nose. Man, is it hard to breath with two big mint leaves up your nose. I threw them out. I put one leaf in my glass of water. I have the rest sitting on the table because mint can be used as an insect repellent. Then I saw a mushroom right by my front door coming out of a tree stump. I looked it up in my field guide, Mushrooms Northeast North America; Midwest To New England by George Barron. The author is from Scotland. How does that make sense that the author is from Scotland? Anyway I guessed it was Dryad's Saddle. The Latin name is Cerioporus squamosus which makes sense because the spots on top look like squamous cell skin cancer. I posted the picture on a new Facebook group I joined of mushroom seekers around here. Right away another guy said I was right. I was right! I looked it up. The Dryad's Saddle is supposed to be edible. Do I dare? I already ate Shitake mushrooms today that I bought at the Co-op.  I will have to think on this overnight. I have looked at this mushroom three times today and every time it looks a little bit different.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...