Thursday, August 26, 2021

Dryad's Saddle

 

Two weeks ago I identified a mushroom by my front door as Dryad's Saddle. I keyed it out in my mushroom field guide. I posted a picture in the mushroom social media group and two people from the group said it was Dryad's Saddle. Dryad's Saddle is edible. But on social media there is a warning not to eat mushroom based on what you read on social media. I was 95% sure this was an edible mushroom. Yet I dithered and dallied, dallied and dithered. I sat on the fence for two weeks on whether I should pick this fungus and ingest it. The same stump grew 3 more mushroom fruits while I stewed in my indecision. Look at the Holstein salt and pepper shakers. Even ceramic cows look at this fungus with interest to see if I will consume it. I think I heard one of them say, "Betcha ten bucks she won't eat it."

This is the underside of the mushroom. Best if you don't zoom in on this picture. Offspring #2 asked me why I wouldn't eat it if I was sure it was Dryad's Saddle. I said something about being philosophical now. Offspring #2 said something about how asking intelligent questions equates being philosophical. That conversation was going round and round like a fairy ring.

I didn't want to put it in the marinara sauce I was making because what if the mushroom poisoned all those other tasty ingredients. I wanted to cook this separately. Dryad's Saddle is delicious but very chewy, like gristle, only I don't eat gristle. The mushroom was chewy like leather, a venison steak, the beef roasts my mother used to make, a chunk of raw celery you have been chewing on for 3 minutes. In fact, after eating two pieces I was going to eat another one but I hesitated. If I am going to get sick on mushrooms, better to get sick on a smaller amount of mushrooms. I'm fine. I feel perfectly fine after consuming Dryad's Saddle. I feel fit as a fidle, a viola. Nuffin wrong wif me. I is gud as gold. I sink i is gonna take a wee nap. No, just kidding. I really am fine. I would eat it again.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...