Monday, August 16, 2021

Woodstock Bay

 

Today I went kayaking at Woodstock  Bay again in Superior,Wisconsin. I wanted to be home in time for lunch so this was going to be a short paddle. I drove to Superior. Google must not have had her coffee this morning because her directions sucked. I have been there before but with a big group so it was nice to be by myself. I was anxious to use that kayak loader/unloader again. Look at this close up of a water lily. The yellow of the flower reflects in the green plastic of my boat at the bottom of the frame.

By the way, I named my kayak Jeeves; like Jeeves the butler.

Water lilies are so pretty!

I went to snoop on this dock to see if any purple martins were in that house. They have a garden on their dock! What a clever idea. I could have had Swiss chard, tomatoes, peppers and cukes on my salad. This garden would be so easy to water! I didn't see any ropes around the pots but I suspect the pots are firmly attached. One of the pots was ceramic but I suppose they could put a bolt through the hole in the bottom and attach it to the deck that way. This is pure genius. I should rent a place with a dock so I can do this too..
 
The water in the Saint Louis river is contaminated with heavy metals but the reflections are marvelous.

I paused here to look back where I came from so I don't get lost. I have a map but I left it at home.

I think this is a mayfly. I saw it land in the water. Mayflies have a short life span so some people think they are the link between heaven and earth.

I got my hat full of spider webs taking this shot.

Look at that turtle just sitting there like a bump on a log right by the kayak landing. I got so close I could have almost touched it before the turtle decided it was time to go.

At the end of the day I decided a stroll around the block would be good for my digestion. I put on my flip flops and headed out with a mouthful of coconut oil because that is supposed to whiten my teeth. I hoped no one stopped me to talk. But then I saw Bambi and Bambi's mother and I had to say something. So, with my mouth closed, I say, "Hi! Howzit going? Watcha up to? Having a snack? You are sure cute! Ok, well, watch out for cars and have a nice night." I come around the block, almost home, and there they are again! I watch the deer again along with a guy driving a construction company truck. We both watch Bambi and Bambi's mother. Bambi and Mom decide to cross the street. Do they look both ways? No, they don't look at all. Bambi and Mom trot down the middle of the road completely oblivious to traffic just like I was when I was learning how to ride a bike. Completely. Oblivious.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...