Tuesday, August 3, 2021

City Hall

 

Today I visited City Hall to vote. We have a primary coming up on Aug. 10. Since I am going to be an election judge in the Morgan Park neighborhood that day I wanted to get my vote in early. I didn't know anybody on the ballot but I made my choices after a long talk with the receptionist about the long lines they had for absentee ballots last fall. He said he used to be an election judge in Morgan Park too but now he is a judge in Gary, New Duluth instead. On my way out I took a picture of all the mayors in town. I like our current mayor, Emily Larson. She lives near me. Looks like they are going to have to buy a new picture frame in the next decade or less. I don't know very much about any of these mayors. Some of them look a bit sanctimonious, don't you think?  Look at the guy in the middle row posing with a pipe. Seriously dude? You posed with a pipe? You were a mayor, not Sherlock Holmes. Some of the mayors are attractive. The one thing they have in common is that they are all white men (except for Emily).

On this picture I have heard of two mayors because there is a Magney-Snively park near Spirit Mountain and there is a Snively road on the east side of town. In this group of earlier mayors they have two things in common. They are all white men and they all have facial hair. I am a fan of facial hair. Just look at the different styles of facial hair. Which one is your favorite? My favorite is Andreas Miller, the first one on the left in the second row. He was mayor for only 2 years. He must have used wax on that mustache to get those curls on the ends. Vespian, in the top row, was mayor for only one year. I wonder what the story was with Vespian? Plus, have you ever met anyone named Vespian? My former neighbor had a dog named Vesper but that is as close as I have come to meeting a Vespian. Whoa, just think of the teasing Vespian would get in junior high with a name like that!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...