Saturday, August 21, 2021

Trapping

 

Another cool thing I came across in Vining, Minnesota was a collection of old traps. My relatives trapped animals for their furs. In this box, covered in 100 generations of spider webs, was trapping equipment. To the left is a hatchet. Lower center is an old spoon that probably was used to put the liquid bait on the traps. In the bottles were different scents for different furry animals.

The box of Q-tips was possibly used to spread the bait on the metal jaws of the traps perhaps. I saw bottles of scent for red fox, wily red fox (what is the difference?), mink, moles, coyote, and deer. I wonder what it was like to go out and set trap lines. Did they tromp through deep snow to get there? Were the traps set along streams? When they went back to check the traps, how did they feel when the traps were empty? How did they feel when they found a snarling creature writhing in pain? Trapping animals other than gophers is one aspect of life I have not experienced. Trapping gophers was no fun for me so I only did it once. I have trapped many mice too and I hated the entire process but it was necessary for me because I didn't want mice in my house. I do enjoy petting a fur pelt. I like leather shoes and belts. Deerskin winter mittens are very cozy. I thought this box of trapping materials was very interesting but I did not open a bottle and take a sniff because I figured it would smell bad.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...