Friday, July 27, 2007

The County Fair

Tonight I met some friends at the fair. I had a good time. I saw goats. I saw cows. I saw a cow being milked. I saw rabbits. I saw huge rabbits. I saw a rabbit that looked like a rabbit slipper. I saw chickens. I saw plain chickens and fancy chickens with feathers on their feet and updo's on their heads. I saw sheep. I told one sheep, "Thank you for your wool," and he looked away in shyness. I saw rides. I wanted to go on the bumper cars but my friends said I shouldn't because of my back. I love bumper cars. I get very aggressive on bumper cars. I'd really like to be in a demo derby but bumper cars are cheaper and seem safer. I saw a man in a blacksmith shop make a belt buckle. I saw baby dogs and kittens. I saw ducks. I saw a former junior high english teacher dressed as an old fashioned woman in the historic house. Kids, remember Mrs. King? She doesn't remember you. I saw a tractor pulling a belt that sawed planks out of a tree trunk. Wow, that was a big saw blade. I saw art work. I saw a guitar shape made entirely of car keys. I talked to one 4H girl who had 9 entries at the fair. I saw all kinds of entries for prizes (4H and otherwise) including brownies, rice krispie treats, jams, salsa, pickles, angelfood cake, quilts, clothing, wood carvings, photographs, beer and wine (all the bottles were empty. My friend wants to be a beer judge at the fair). I was asked to dance by a square dancing man. I got to sit in a snow plow (I would need a pillow to see over the dash). I saw my cousin in the tractor pull. I enjoyed hearing his name announced. Those tractors are loud and powerful. I talked to lots of people. People tried to sell me siding, hot tubs, jewelry and patchouli soap made with organic herbs and all vegetarian products. That got me thinking. I say I am a vegetarian but I probably slather on some meat products on my hair or skin. I don't read the labels on shampoo or lotion. I guess I am only a vegetarian on the inside. I learned that I can call the mosquito control people if I feel I have too many mosquitos in my yard and they will, at no charge, come out, assess my yard for mosquitos and spray the yard for me. I didn't know that. Mosquitos do drive me nuts but I don't want pesticides sprayed all over my property. I listened to the teen and preteen talent show performances. Everyone was a winner. They all got to come back tomorrow for the final judging. I did buy some pop and some corn on the cob but I didn't eat much. Fair food didn't really sound good today. But I am glad I went to the fair.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...