Friday, July 27, 2007

The Queen





The weather was so hot and sticky yesterday that I choose to be totally unproductive and just watch a movie. I loved THE QUEEN with Helen Mirren. Back in 2002 I had the opportunity to travel to London. We stayed at a really cheap but nice hotel that was within walking distance of Buckingham Palace. We had a few days planned but not this day so we chose to walk to Buckingham Palace just to see it. Turns out it was Queen Elizabeth's 75th birthday party. There were huge crowds forming. We got there early enough to get a good spot near the gates. And we were extremely fortunate to stand near this Londoner who knew all about what was going on because she comes every year to see the Queen's birthday celebration. She was talking to a different group of tourists but we were able to listen in and learn just who it was we were watching walking into the gates and into the palace. "That one there is the Queen's second cousin," she would say. "Look up there at the balcony - Charles is on the left and Harry is standing behind him." We saw Queen Elizabeth arrive in a open carriage wearing a lime green hat and coat. The London lady said she always wears solid matching hats and coats so the people can see her well at a distance. Ever since that day in London I have been into royalty and learning about England's royal history. So naturally I loved this movie which gave me a glimpse into Elizabeth's role as the Queen of England and as a mother, wife, and grandmother. I loved this movie. I loved the scenery of the Queen's gardens and homes and her corgi dogs. I enjoyed learning more about Tony Blair and about Diana. It was a great movie.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...