Sunday, July 22, 2007

What Children Say


Twice in the past week I have found myself in the unusual position of being in a child's company and just hanging out by a lake. I didn't have to go anywhere and didn't have to do anything except hang out and listen to them talk to me. Some of these children were family and some were friends. I guess I have forgotten what children are like. I am surprised at how simple a child's life can be. One child discussed the pros and cons of having a brother. Her analysis was quite detailed yet simple and self centered. I am surprised at how big liars children are. One kid told me, straight faced and with deepest sincerity, that he skipped a rock 50 times and it turned around and came back to him - right into his hand. Yeah. He also told me he can catch fish using geranium buds as bait and that one turned out to be true. I saw him catch 4 sunfish using geranium buds. I'm not sure his Mom knows about his bait choices but I didn't narc on him. I am surprised at how much kids crave attention - even from an old person such as myself. All I had to do is occassionally say, "Oh, really?" and off they would go again for another 15 minutes. I really admire a kid's ability to stay in the moment. They don't need yoga classes or QiGong coaches or full body massages to quiet their minds. They're not worried about their retirement nest eggs, cholesterol levels or job security. The thing about kids is they can remind you how wonderful and simple the world can be.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...