Monday, July 16, 2007

Hunting the Wild Chokecherry


We picked chokecherries on Saturday. I found a few and used my chokecherry scout (nephew) to find more while he tooled around on the golfcart. Eyes peeled for chokecherries. The trees look like all the other trees but if you look closely, you can find ruby red chokecherries hanging from the branches. Some chokecherry trees were left unmolested because of the poison ivy plants living near them. Other chokecherry trees were relieved of their red stony fruit. We went to great lengths to fill an ice cream pail with chokecherries. We descended steep embankments to get to the trees. We left the gravel roads and waded through grass that was at times over our heads. I am not supposed to reach over my head so I had helpers hanging on the tree branch until I could grasp the upper branches where the fruit was located. I stripped the chokecherries off the trees and popped them into the bucket. Because of all the work we went through, the chokecherry jelly I make had better taste really special or I am not going through this again. There is something about hunting the woods for the chokecherries that was enthralling. Is this what it is like to be a hunter?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...