Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sky Chair


I have a sky chair in my front yard. It is tied W - A - Y up in an oak tree. The seat is a little high for me to get into but when I sit down, it's just the right height for me to relax. My sky chair is a great place to read in the summer. I like to read books out there. I will go through the mail in my sky chair or sometimes I'll read the newspaper. The only thing that is missing is a drink holder. I think I could fashion one out of some rope and a small bucket. The sky chair is always in the shade and it's a great place to relax on a hot day. I also like to go out there at night and look up at the stars and relax. My dog is used to it. She sits on the ground and patiently waits as I swing softly. She has one of those retractible leashes so she doesn't have to move to keep up with the swing. Sometimes I let her sit on my lap and other times she prefers to wait on the grass. I have been using my sky chair a lot during my recovery because it supports me without putting pressure on the incisions. I love my sky chair and I love my nephew who tied the rope W - A - Y up in the tree about 4 years ago. I had been trying for months to get that rope up there. I attached the end of a rope to a soft ball with duct tape and tried to throw the soft ball over the branch. That didn't work. I'm a lousy shot with the soft ball and only got it tangled. I tied fish line to the end of the rope and tried to cast over the tree branch. That didn't work either. I can climb some trees but I couldn't climb this one. Three of my nephews are excellent tree climbers and have scared me half to death with their arbor ascents. I nearly had a heart attack at William O'Brien state park. There is a big pine tree near the St. Croix at the end of a path. Those three boys were so high up it hurt my neck to see them. I begged them to come down before they fell down. They laughed. Anyway, one of my nephews looked at my chosen oak tree and the branch I wanted and said it was too difficult. I accepted that. We were hanging out in the back yard and I hear my name being called. I went around to the front yard and there he was perched on my chosen branch. Somehow he made it up there - without the rope. He had to come back down, get the rope and a piece of carpet and go back up there. He did it. He finished the job and came back down. I wrapped him in my arms, picked him up off his feet (he was younger then) and twirled him around three times because I was so happy.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...