Sunday, July 29, 2007

Girlfriends I Have Known

I have been thinking back about old television shows and the friendships between women on these shows. Some of my favorite shows had female friendships as a theme in the show. My favorite by far was Lucy and Ethel. The Lucy and Ethel friendship reminds me of a friendship I once had - I was the Ethel. Lucy and Ethel had a lot of fun together that they never would have had separately. Lucy was always pulling Ethel out of her comfort zone and Ethel would protest but eventually go along. Many people like the episode where Lucy and Ethel work in a candy factory. That one is funny but my favorite was when they tried to fix a shower. Maybe this was past the "I Love Lucy" time and into the next show. Lucy and Ethel are trying to fix a shower but, as I could predict, Lucy's idea is flawed and the shower starts filling up with water. The opaque shower doors hold the water in as it rises to the level where they are swimming. In the Flintstones, Wilma and Betty had a good friendship even though most of it was uniting against the dumba$$ husbands. I don't remember seeing Betty and Wilma planning any of their own fun. Mary Tyler Moore had girlfriends and they had issues just like real girlfriends too - jealousy, misunderstandings, etc. In Will and Grace, Grace and Karen are both very intriguing characters but to me, their friendship doesn't seem very real. They don't like each other. They only tolerate one another because of their male friends. And how about Donna and Jackie in the 70's show? If Donna were real, she would have a ton of strong female friends but instead she just has airhead, shallow Jackie. What about Half Pint and Nellie on Little House on the Prairie? With friends like that, who needs enemies? Aunt Bea had a friend named Clara on the Andy Griffith Show but they seemed to be enemies too. You really can't count the Brady Bunch or Petticoat Junction - those were sisters which are an entirely different species. I know of what I speak here.




Lucy and Ethel were the best. RIP































No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...