Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Other Appendages


These, by the way, are not my actual feet. I am using a stunt double. I chose to write about feet because they have become more useful to me in the past 30 days than ever before. Since I am not allowed to bend forward or twist, I have coped by using my feet instead of my hands. I can lift up a garden hose with my foot. I can pick papers off the floor with my feet. I can move furniture with my feet. I can put clothes into the dryer with my feet. And I can do all this with minimal pain. But my greatest feat with feet is pulling weeds out of the garden. I have two techniques for two kinds of weeds. For those low to the ground spreading out type weeds, push on the center of the weed with with the big toe and pull your foot toward yourself until the weed's roots leave the soil. For those stubborn high growing weeds, wrap the stalk around your big toe two or more times and pull gently. Lean on the hoe for support if you must. If you listen closely you can hear the satisfying sound of roots reluctantly giving up their hold on the soil - sort of like a garden violin.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...