Sunday, July 1, 2007

Mailbox bunny

The last few days I have found a small bunny living in the daylilies by the mailbox. I walk my dog to the mailbox to get the newspaper or the mail and there it sits. It sits there like a statue hoping we won't notice it's rodentness. Sometimes the dog does not notice. Once I got so frustrated I used my cane to scare it out of the lilies. The dog nearly had a heart attack. I think the bunny may have soiled her britches too. I am like Mr. McGregor when it comes to rabbits. These are wild rabbits - not cute storybook rabbits like Flopsy, Mopsy and Peter Cottontail. These are useless rodents whose population has exploded in my yard since my golden retreiver died a couple years ago. I was given a paintball gun to release my frustration on the rabbits. I haven't had the canister gassed up for a couple years but I think I will get it out and bring it to the sporting store this week. There is another, larger rabbit who likes to hang out on the east side of my fenced garden. I planted beans along the east fence of the garden. This rabbit pulls the bean plants through the fence and eats them up. I see her from my deck. She won't leave when I yell. I have to walk out there with my cane - down the deck steps, through the yard and to the garden. She still won't leave until I walk around the garden to the east side and get within cane striking distance. Then she quits her "pretend I'm not there" game and takes off only to come back when I get back up on the deck. My paintball gun has clear fluid inside - it sort of looks like snot. I would prefer actual paint so I could see which bunnies have been hit before. My apologies to all you rabbit lovers out there.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...