Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I was told to go to the light

I had a new experience yesterday when I got a pedicure. It's been hard for me to take care of my feet without bending my back so I treated myself to my first ever pedicure. I went to a nail salon near my house and I told them this was my first time. The employees there were Asian and they spoke to each other in their language the whole time I was there. There was a bit of a language barrier going on. She directed me to pick out a color. I was tempted by a bright orange but went against my first impulse and picked out a soft pink instead. She directed me to a chair. I sat in this large recliner that was very high up and difficult for me to get into. There was a tub of water before me. She said something that I didn't understand but her gestures told me to put my feet into the water. The water was blue - abnormally blue. I'm not sure what was in the water. She got her supplies ready and gestured for me to put one foot up on the towel. She did a nice job taking care of my feet. Her name was Tina and she was very petite. How petite was she? She might have been a size 0 or possible a size -2. My leg was bigger than her torso. She poured some thick white goop on my toes. "What is that stuff?" I asked. She said it was cuticle cream and not to worry, it will feel good. Normally I don't like anyone touching my feet. I am ticklish and I don't like it. But I liked this. I think the hot water bath desensitized my sensory system. The chair was very comfortable too. She trimmed my toe nails and filed them. She sanded my feet. Then she took lotion and rubbed my calves, ankles and feet. Oh, that felt so good. She got up and roughly pushed my chair to the side so my legs were hanging in the air. She brought over a small tub filled with something orange. She raised the tub so my right foot went in it and then lowered it. My foot looked terrible. "What is this stuff?" I asked sounding a little upset. She said it was parafin wax and it will make my feet soft. That reassured me but I gotta say, it didn't look pretty. After dipping each foot 3 times she took it away. She peeled my feet like a rabbit hunter skins a rabbit. I could tell she was an expert. Then she cleaned my toes with alcohol so they would be ready to be polished. She asked me if I wanted a flower. I wan't sure what she meant. She indicated she would put a flower on my toes. Another customer looked at me and indicated I should say yes. So I said yes. I am so glad I did because I have a work of art on my two big toes. She put a series of white dots which didn't look like much until she added some pink centers and some red stamens and then some green leaves. I have lotus blossoms on my toes. They are beautiful. I will have to forget about pulling weeds entirely. I can't put these beautiful feet in the dirt anymore. After she finished putting on the final coat she said roughly, "Go to the light." I thought that over for a few seconds and then said, "Excuse me?" She said it again, "Go to the light." I told her I didn't understand. All I could think of was when people are dying, some of them see a tunnel with a light at the end and they want to go to the light. Another employee there saw my confusion and explained that there was a light at a desk. I was to sit at the desk and put my feet under the light so the paint could dry. Well I didn't know that. I sat there for ten minutes or so. Aside from a new minutes of newcomer confusion, the experience was fun, relaxing, entertaining and well worth the money. I might go again in a month or so.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...