Friday, January 27, 2023

Helen's Garden

Tomorrow I will drive to Houston so today I decided to drive to Helen's Gardens in Seabrook which is about 10 miles away. What is up with this oak tree? Did someone lay a brick between the two branches to hold something and now the trees are bricked together?

What is this belted Kingfisher doing hanging out on a telephone wire? Just 5 minutes ago it was perched on a tall pier pole. As I stood there a fish crow and five white ibises flew over.

This pier is not open to the public. Many broken boards on it plus several brown pelicans. I saw herring gulls, ring billed gulls, laughing gulls, white pelicans, great white egrets, snowy egrets (with their dainty yellow feet), and a great blue heron. I am still hoping for loons. This pier was 2 miles from my car back at Helen's GardenThs.

Belted Kingfisher on a fishing pier looks better to me.

I took 30 pictures of these herons and egrets. They didn't seem to mind. I am standing on a board walk with a sign that says to beware of spiders and snakes. What am I wearing? Yup, I am wearing sandals again. So I starting singing the song, "I don't like spiders and snakes" so the spiders and snakes would keep a good distance. I didn't see any gators today but it's only 53 degrees today and cloudy.

I saw tracks in the silt along the brackish stream. I think raccoons were here but I also saw deer tracks.

Chimney swift tower is cool.

I watched this anhinga diving for awhile. Here is the anhinga ready for lift off!

This is a great white heron. The bird's bill looks black but that is just a reed in the way.

This park was halfway back to my car. 

These might be jonquils?

I never knew there was a National Seed Saver's Day. I stopped at the library to use the restroom. I think the libraries in Texas are nicer than the ones in Minnesota. They are open 7 days a week. The libraries here seem to have more staff, more children activities, more clubs, and more activities. I picked up a guide to Texas Parks, Texas Travel, and Texas Heritage travel guide.

There is my car across the bridge. I turned in tight because another lady had her door open. I was so close to the hand rail that I could barely get out with my binoculars hanging down. I must have went back to my car 5 or 6 times today but I never moved it away from the handrail. One of my friends is skiing the Ski-de-she 2023 Race tomorrow. She and a friend are doing 30K. Wow. Her race is tomorrow at 10 a.m. and it will be cold in Wisconsin. She was excited to meet a real live Olympian-Kikkan Randall. She sent me a picture of 3 smiling faces. She sure likes cold weather! Well, she likes hot weather too. She and her hubby dive in scuba suits.

This is bamboo!

The city planted an edible garden. This is an apple blossom on a tree that looks to be about 8 years old. And, yes, it smelled great.

Somebody left a rock in an old oak tree. I took it.

This is the old oak tree. See the braces supporting two of the branches?

Beautiful butterfly garden. Today was good because I only saw about 5 mosquitoes.

Another great white heron.

I thought for a moment I was seeing Moses as a baby.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...