Friday, January 6, 2023

W

Last night I bought a ticket to the George W. Bush presidential library. I chose the last available time which was 3 p.m. I figured if I left Independence, Kansas by 9 I could make it to the library by 3.

Lucky for me I got up early and left at 8 a.m. I booked it through Kansas right quick.

I missed my chance to pay for a toll road in Oklahoma so  now I have to call them and pay over the phone. I got my first insect on my windshield over a river in Oklahoma.

I counted seeing 15 vultures, a handful of hawks, ducks and geese and other small birds. I saw horses, cows, sheep, goats and 3 deer carcasses on the road.

I ate lunch while driving. Some of the roads were 80 mph which is faster than I like to go.

Sometimes the highway had 8 lanes going in one direction. There was frequent road construction.

My knuckles were white!

This is a metal portion of the twin towers.

I got to the library at 2:30. I couldn't find a place to park. I stopped a young man of color for help. He offered me directions and said he was going there himself. So I offered him a ride. He is an engineering intern on campus and the Southern Methodist University is closed to students right now. He was very helpful. After that it was a six minute walk to the library and I got there 2 minutes early.

George W. is not my favorite president. I thought he was unnecessarily pugilistic and in favor of the big oil companies. I liked his father better.

But he wasn't all bad.

He had a sense of humor and I liked his self-deprecating style.

He appeared to be a good family man. He loved his daughters.

This is the view from the Rose Garden.

He tried to do things for the environment. He saved a big chunk of islands in the Pacific Ocean near Hawaii.

He tried to help education but I am not sure that he did.

He could have been more helpful after Hurricane Katrina!

I liked Laura Bush.

She seems like a fine woman.

I liked his way of respecting tradition.

I thought trickle down economics was a bunch of malarky.

Living in the White House is difficult. They spent all their winter holidays at Camp David. George W. enjoys exercise as a way to blow off steam. Me too.

I think he did a fine job creating this library.

The staff were helpful and friendly.

I am glad I visited.

I think I will like the LBJ library better. My cousin says the LBJ library is good.

I read in a book about the hospital in New Orleans that George W.'s plane ride delayed the Coast Guard from rescuing people.

I enjoyed this 10 minute video about the oceans.

My hotel is on Airport Boulevard and there is construction all around here so I ordered Chinese food to be delivered. That broccoli and garlic dish was hot and spicy and every so good. I have two more meals of fried rice in the fridge plus another fortune cookie. Now I am super thirsty! 

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...