Sunday, January 29, 2023

Texas City Dike

Today I drove to the Texas City Dike. My goal was to seen a loon and a roseate spoonbill.

As I was gingerly climbing down these giant pink rocks, a 12 year old boy came out of the van and asked if I needed help. I must have looked like I needed help I guess.

Lots of gulls hang out here because people feed them junk food and fish.

This guy caught a black drum. He said it weighed over 20 pounds so he had to put it back after he let his dog smell it.

Brown pelicans are excellent at catching fish.

They let me get real close too.

This picture would be better if someone would pick up their trash. There is a lot of trash in Texas.

I a bunch of sanderlings, some plovers and some killdeer. I watched two red throated loons swimming and diving back and forth. That was cool to see. I saw Neotropic Cormorants and white pelicans.

The picture is blurry but there, right before your eyes, is a roseate spoonbill. Success!

Another snowy egret. As I walked back to my car both the roseate spoonbill and this egret were gone. I guess I was lucky to see them at all.



I walked up this big hill just to get some exercise. That big propeller had many notches taken out of it and I wondered why.




This is why.
The Rotary Club helped to build this cool lighthouse. Inside were information boards about the dike and the water shed and the gate they use to keep water out during hurricanes.


I wanted to go to Virginia Point. Google didn't know that the exit to that area is closed so I ended up going over the big bridge to Galveston. I went under this bridge to your left and I tried to keep going but Google didn't know that road doesn't go through. I almost got stuck in the mud. Rain is falling hard so I have to have my wipers on double fast.

This is the bridge going back to Texas City.

When I got home rain wasn't falling so I took a walk around the block and came upon this beautiful bird hunting for fish in the ditch next to the road right by the San Leon water rower.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...