Sunday, October 17, 2021

Cranes

In January of 2008 I bought a ticket to a guided safari to Kenya. Migwe, our driver, was taking a short cut through a farmer's field and the 20 mile short cut was bumpy as heck. He pointed out the window and said, "There is a gray crested crane."

I looked out over the hay field and there, walking along all casual like and parallel to the road was a crazy looking bird with a crest on it's head.

Until today I thought I saw a great crested crane but I learned it's a grey crested crane.

The gray crested crane was hiding inside the house today. Who stays in the house on a beautiful day like today near Baraboo, Wisconsin?

A crane who is sick and tired of the paparazzi would stay inside the house on a day like this.

That day in January of 2008 is the day I decided I wanted to point out crazy looking birds and say, "Look, a gray crested crane out there in the field."

So that is why I visited the International Crane Center.

This crane zoo has every crane on earth. Look at the wattle on this crane. My jowls sag like that too now.

I can see why people like their feathers!

Cranes are a symbol of peace even though they would probably peck your eye out if you got too close.

This one caused me to correct my posture.

Thanks for posing for my picture!

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...