Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Shaggy Mane

 

I was out for a walk this afternoon and I came upon many mushrooms but this one was different. This one was cylindrical and tall and white. When I opened it the hem of the bell skirt was purplish.

Oh, weird, this mushroom has a hollow stem like a straw. I wonder if it's edible.

The top is all shaggy and the shags stick to my skin. This mushroom smells earthy and pleasant. Could it be a shaggy mane? I think so and if it is a shaggy mane it would be edible. I put it back where it belonged and rubbed the shaggy mane fragments off my skin with dry leaves. Walking by I see someone has decorated their yard with 3 cement mushroom shapes. Mushroom decorations were a big thing in the 1960's and 1970's. Mushrooms must be coming back in style.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...