Friday, October 1, 2021

The Lens Of Professions


 Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you had chosen a different occupation? What if, perhaps, you were an astronaut or a ballet dancer or a farmer? I was on a farm this morning and when I woke up I went outside. I could hear turkeys gobbling and Eastern phoebes and sand hill cranes and blue jays singing. Six feral cats looked at me with expecting looks on their furry faces. I looked back at them and said, "Go find some mice you free loaders." I heard a cow moaning in the distance. The air smelled clean and this veranda is a wonderful place to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. Some farmers drink black coffee all day. On the plus side full time farmers don't have to get to the workplace during rush hour. On the negative side, farmers work every day of the year. On the plus side farmer get fresh air and exercise without walking around the block or going to the gym. On the negative side some farmers are exposed to toxic chemicals and have injuries related to their occupation. Today rain fell on the local farms. I asked one farmer if the rain was good. She wasn't sure and she asked her husband if the rain was good. Although the area experienced a drought, the rain today was not great because they had planned to harvest a field and now they have to wait until things dry out. As he said this I could see the chickens in the farm yard running pell mell toward the barn to get out of the rain. I had to smile at the sight of the chickens jogging in a panic. For them the rain was not good. I usually think of rain as being good or bad based on whether the rain coincides with my plans to be outdoors. I use a different lens to view rain. I think it is good to learn more about various professions and try to see the world through the lens of each occupation.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...