Saturday, October 30, 2021

Windham Textile And History Museum

Today I went to a threat museum in eastern Connecticut. Look at that beautiful newel post!

The museum curator was so nice I bought five dollars worth of thread and buttons that I did not need.

A volunteer here told me she wishes she bought her Fit in my color because it is the safest color to drive.

This modern threading machine was built in 1953. I copied the QR link to my phone and my phone told me all about it. The bobbin workers had to pace back and forth the ten feet width of the machine for their entire shift.

This wheelchair is probably more comfortable than the modern ones. Sling seats give me a pain in my hips. Working in a thread factory is dangerous. When people work 12 hours a day for 6 days a week, accidents are bound to happen.

The thread manager's office looks nice.

The thread manager's family can faint in comfort.

The thread manager's children get to play with a lovely doll house.

The thread manger's kids get to go to school and have plenty of fresh air and exercise.

The thread manager's family gets to look out of a lovely window.

The thread manager's children don't have to work at all.

The thread manager's children don't have to breath in the cotton dust that will eventually suffocate some children.

The factory worker slept on these beds after working all day.

The factory workers ate their food in this kitchen.

The factory worker's kids had to draw water from the well and bring it in the house.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...