Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Time To Buy A Map!

Although it feels like last week I woke up early in Humbird, Wisconsin yesterday and floated to Michigan. I was a little tired at 6:45 a.m. but a close call with a buck in the first five minutes of my drive woke me right up!!! I arrived in Milwaukee early and got in line for the ferry. I went to the upper deck with my giant sunhat and as soon as the high speed ferry left the dock my hat blew off and the chin strap tried to strangle me. My pen flew across the deck and the guy next to me threw his sunglasses at me. So I went inside. In only one hour we were halfway across. I asked a passenger for the Wi-Fi password. She said there was no free Wi-Fi. A female mate on the ferry called me and whispered "Sturgeon with a capital S." I moved my fingers over my mask to indicate I locked the door and threw away the key. And then I went and told someone else. I had so much fun on the boat meeting all kinds of interesting people. One guy worked for Trek bikes. He was heading to a convention where Colin Powell was supposed to speak. Some controversy was starting over his appearance. Then I read that Colin Powell died! Wow.

I decided this acorn will be that mascot of this trip to the east.

One fellow suggested I go to Grand Haven for lunch. I fired up my camp stove and warmed up this soup I had frozen. Tomato soup with kale and serrano peppers hit the spot after the boat ride.

The Michigan side of this great lake reminds me of the southern shore of Lake Superior near Superior Wisconsin. Look at the size of that dune! See the tiny person walking up?

I thought I would be to my hotel before the sunset. I was very, very, very wrong. I am not going to even tell you how late I got to my hotel in Kalamazoo. Two male employees of the hotel had me running my yellow car up and down the highway at 70 miles per hour between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, Michigan so many times. I drove an extra 100 to 150 miles because of these two men. I really miss my former coworker at work who would give me directions over the phone when I got lost at work. She was great! Today I went to Battle Creek and bought a postcard of Tony the Tiger and I will mail it to her because she said I can still call her when I am lost even though I am retired.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...